Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The General Hospital Day 1

Typewriter used to document los operacions

The Anesthetics Cabinet
(Below) Me and Kelly Scrubbed Up




Today was Day 1 at the hospital! Yesterday we came and received our gafetas (badges). Today we returned for our first day. In short, it was QUITE an experience. For the first time ever I almost blacked out during a surgery! (This was approximately my 8th surgery). I fought it off for about 30 minutes while my vision went gray and I got really hot. Finally I had my classmate take me to sit down and I ate a quesadilla that my host mom had packed for me. The rest of the day was fine. In Ob/Gyn I got to see: C Section, Histerectomy & Colnoplasty, Ectopic Pregnancy surgery. It was unbelievable. The operating rooms do not have doors, and I counted at one time 10 staff members in the room in addition to myself and one other classmate. Some of them were just watching. They follow similar techniques in regard to instrument handling and use of a scrub tech and anesthesiologist. However, sterility is extremely questionable in my book considering the open doors, people coming and going, dirty things placed on the floor,...



Room in the hospital is a great problem. We were in Ob/Gyn where the hall was lined with women on beds. In a open room to the side there were about 8 women. The birthing room also holds the babies so many people are coming and going there as well.



Thats all for now. My time is up in this cafe. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment