Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Miercioles, la dia numero 5 de Oaxaca

Buenas Tardes,
Post #1 on Day #5! Im sorry to say that my posts are going to be scarce because I have very little time free... and the time that I am not doing school, or clinic, I feel that I should be studying Spanish... but I have only found one time so far to study..and instead ended up spending it watching the Espana vs. Allemane game de Futbol because my British housemate was greatly engrossed and kept exclaiming loudly. :)
To answer a few likely questions in short, heres a hopefully brief rundown. Please excuse any missused letters because I am using a Swiss computer. (yes..living in a Oaxacan house with British and Swiss and Oaxacan girls.. very interesting!).
Medical Experience: Yesterday was my first day and it was... frustrating and nerve wracking. The kind doctor in charge, Dr. German Tenorio met us at the hospital where he works and drove us to the site where we would work (we being me and one other girl with CFHI). There are 8 of us total, all girls, 6 from the U.S., two from Toronto. We will have week rotations at each site. This week is at Centro de Saludad N2. Outside there is a waiting area, and inside there is a waiting area. If I understood correctly, the clinic is open 24-7. There are several doctors, and a vaccination area where babies and others go for treatment. There is also a bed there for suturing, casting, etc procedures. After meeting the head doctor in the facility, (and understanding almost none of what was going on) I was taken to a room where the doctor and nurse were seeing a patient and told to observe. I sat there for about 4 hours watching patients come and go, having little idea of what was being said until exams and tests were performed. I was unable to say much, particularly when asked what type of student I am because there is no such thing as Phycian Assistant in Mexico. The doctor was a young woman. Some things I observed I think:
man with kidney infection treated with antibiotics
Woman with contraceptive implant in her arm (yes.. that was a new one for me)
Toddler with intestinal problems treated with antibiotics
Elderly lady with discolored skin due to skin disease (think Michael Jacksons disease)
Elderly lady who fell and injured ribs, elbow, knee
Couple with a new baby
Today I observed some vaccinations with my classmate and then was sent to observe another doctor. Im not sure how Im so lucky to always get to watch the consultations (particularly because shes the medical student and Im not) but anyhow, this doctor was an older woman. She was kind and lent me a book of Spanish Medical Terminology and let me read the charts. Something to observe is that all equipment is outdated compared to the States. The doctors use a type writer to write their reports and prescriptions, but I think this is actually better than even some doctors in the states that still use handwritten charts. It takes quite a bit of time though. Tomorrow I am to arrive at 8 am and I understood from the other student that the head doctor of the facility is going to be showing us some things.
Living situation: Its great! I have a simple room in a house owned by a Oaxacan lady and her three daughters, who are around 25, 22, and 16. One works at a university in town, has a degree in Psychology now working in administration. The 22 year old is a medical student here! I need to become better acquainted with her. The mother, Claudia, is a wonderful cook, very kind, and runs a little restaurant in the house at lunchtime (thats how good it is!), and also I understand caters some parties as well. I learn the most Spanish from her because she speaks no English. My housemates who are also Spanish students are are really great and I would be lost with out them Im afraid. Both speak much better Spanish than me and one has lived here before so she has really helped me find things and shown me around...and right now is letting me use her laptop. The highlight of the house is un perro loco de nombre Tasha! She is truly loco, especially at night. Last night two of the girls and I went for a run at the park nearby. After giving her a good jaunt, I thought I had worn her out because she was chewing on her leash! But no, we came home and she proceeded to act crazy. The most commonly heard exclamation in the house is Ah Tasha!! She definitely has character.
School is Monday through Friday, 5 to 7 pm. Its barely anything and since I dont have other time to study besides actually attempting to speak, I dont feel Im using it yet. tomorrow I have scheduled a private lesson for 1 hour. I hope that will help some. :) School is about 8 minutes away, and the walk through town is unbelievable. Passing the historical Santa Domingo church and famous pedestrian streets with brick. We learned today that Oaxaca has been established since 1520 and because it is surrounded on all sides by mountains and rivers, the original establishment has been changed very little and for that it is very valuable for the culture that has been maintained.
What else to say? I feel safe here. Obviously we need to be cautious anyhow, and there are some pickpocketers. However, the people here are kind and they are not a staring culture. They dont seem to care too much about looking at tourists. In the clinics the patients are interested to talk to me and ask about how I like Oaxaca and where I come from, but it is in a polite friendly manner. I understand from the locals that in past years there have been some problems with drugs, but the police are very good and keep that problem away from our area.
This is all for now... This weekend I have plans to go to Mitla and have a tour by Carlos y Claudia, the friends that I have yet to meet! Mitla is an area of old ruins.
Hopefully I will post pictures shortly.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking time to write on your blog! It is so fun to get to read about your adventures. Love the door handle! :)

    ReplyDelete