Monday, July 26, 2010

La Semana Ultima

This is the last week for me here! Im sad and happy, and feel as though it was flown by. I cant believe how little time I have had to study espanol outside of my every day classes and conversations. I wish that there was a way to easily express all of the things I have experienced lately on paper here, but that is not possible.
This week I have opted to return to the hospital, so tomorrow I will hopefully begin a rotation in Pediatrics. Last week I was in the hospital for a lowly two days of observation, but they were certainly eventful days. On day 2, I saw 2 more caesarians, one involving a problematic placentia which left the baby with a little more difficulty, though the doctor said it was not serious. Also saw a natural birth, though I left the room for a moment thinking I would have more time and while I was away the baby was actually born. Bummer! Day 2 was the finish because Friday I stayed home with a fever which began Thursday and finally left on Saturday.
Sunday I went Mitla and it was another marvelous time with the family there. It is a different experience to go to meeting by bus and motor taxi, requiring about 1 hour. After the morning meeting I walked to the middle of town with the lady of the house to buy tortillas! We went into an unmarked hall, up some stairs, around a corner, to voila! A group of people making tortillas on an open stove. They were delicious and hot! Then they showed me the river where the town´s water comes. It was a beautiful walk farther up into the hillside, with an awesome view of Mitla and the surrounding area. I bought Monopoly for the kids (which I was disappointed to find they already owned) and we played all evening! There was a fair amount of cheating and laughing involved, and I have to admit I tried to turn a blind eye to the cheating and make myself go broke so that I could finally go to bed, but this didn´t work for quite a while. :) Haha in any case it was enjoyable, and I understood a fair bit more of what was being said than in the past, though I continue to have many moments of staring blankly.
One very nice thing is to be so far form home and have people that treat you like family. And that look out for your safety. For that I am grateful! :)
Today, in short, when I returned to Oaxaca I explored some places I had never seen near my house. Saw a man weaving rugs, part of a Catholic service in a large church, explored a nice hotel that used to be a convent, and listened to Oaxacan music. Now Im headed home.
Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment