Friday, July 9, 2010

House Calls in the Mountains

I hope to post pictures about this shortly, but I just wanted to write very quickly about the exciting experience one other classmate, Priyanka, and I got to have yesterday. We were sent with a nurse/secretary of Centro de Saludad up to the rural parts of Oaxaca City to give vaccinations to small children and babies that are due for treatment. Vaccinations are given to children for free in Oaxaca, and I have not yet been able to ask who pays for it...whether it is the government or ? Each child has a health card indicating what vaccinations they have had. So we had a list of about 12 houses to visit and a map. We went hiking and walking about on dirt and mud roads on steep hills amongst houses made of sheet metal and cardboard, with dirt floors and sheets for dividing walls. We got to go into a few houses to give the vaccinations, and other patients were not home so we left notes at their doors saying that they need to come visit El Centro de Saludad No´ 2 where we are working this week. I did not give any of the vaccinations because I don´t yet speak enough spanish to communicate well with the nurse and give her confidence that I am able to do that, but hopefully in future weeks when my Spanish improves I will be able to get more involved! :) PS: The view was beautiful...we could see all over the valley where Oaxaca City is situated.
Also, we found out today that we get to go on another housecall on Monday before we leave this clinic! Hopefully we will be a bit more prepared for such an awesome adventure :) Woo hoo! Tonight we find out where we will be studying medicine next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment