Monday, July 12, 2010

Mitla para La Reunion

This past weekend was the highlight of my trip so far! Saturday at around 1 pm, 6 classmates and I found our way to the taxi center in Oaxaca, and caught a taxi to Mitla for the day. I had told them earlier in the week that I wanted to visit Mitla because that is where I have friends from church that I want to meet. They all decided that they wished to join me, and so off we went in our diesel maroon and white taxis! The trip cost 50 pesos each if I remember correctly, which roughly comes to less than $5 (40 minute trip). I had received a text message saying that the location I wanted to ask for was La Puesta Numero 50 al mercado, which I found out was the spot within the large market where I would find my friends. I met two kids there, the son and daughter of the friends I was looking for, who spoke no English. Our communication required a lot of hand signals, dictionary use, and headaches on my part. I finally grabbed a schoolmate for translation and found that they wanted to show me their house! So I went to their house, where I met their grandparents and darling shaggy little dog. This led to more headaches and miscommunication with my inability to speak Spanish, but learned that they invited me to stay the night! So long story short, I stayed the night in Mitla at their home, and my classmates went back to Oaxaca, slightly concerned that I was spending the night with some people I had never met. It was so special! Claudia and Carlos have meetings, special meetings, and conventions at their home. Being at their house and being in meeting (even though I hardly understood what was being said), was like going home for a moment. :)
La Clinica
Today was our last day at Centro de Saludad Numero 2 and by far the best for me. This is because I attempted more communication than I have other days, possibly because I have learned a few more words and conjugations. I got to be a bit more involved in office visits and exams with Doctora Liliana, and this was awesome. I havent had the chance to be as involved in the clinic as I would have expected, but not in a bad way because this means there are many well-trained Mexican medical staff doing their jobs. I would say that the health center we have been visiting is more organized and up to par than some of our clinics in the U.S. The nurses are very knowledgable and organized and nice. If you would like a comparison to American medicine, it seems to be about the same, but somewhat outdated (ie moving back about 8 years in time) but this is only because of the lack of funding as far as I can tell. This Fridays lecture with our director Dr. Tenorio is about the Mexican Health System and at that time I will be able to tell you more.
TOMORROW
Tomorrow will be a new opportunity in CRIT, Centro de Rehabilitacion Infantil, for one week. This is a Rehabilitation Center for Children with Orthopaedic problems. From what I hear, it is awesome, and Doctoro Tenorio says we will be amazed and find that we dont have something like it in the U.S. From what he said, the center has changed local societys perspective of families with disabled children so that the children and their families are accepted and able to go out in society and lead happy and good lives. Im excited to see it!
This is all...but I have posted all of my pictures at picasaweb.google.com/christianne.cobb so you are welcome to sift through those if you would like. Sorry theres so many but I dont have time to sift through them.
Buenas Tardes!

2 comments:

  1. hi tianne!! so happy to find your blog we're thinking about you! lots of love from SB!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tianne!! Absolutely LOVED going through your pictures! What an amazing experience you've had so far. I would love to have one of those water color paintings for $12. If you go back there, can you pick one for me and I'll pay you when you get back? Oaxaca and Mitla are adorable towns. Now I want to visit you!!
    Lotsa love,
    Christal

    ReplyDelete